EM-2 Bullpup Rifle 1951

The EM-2 rifle was a Bullpup design developed for the British Army after the Second World War. The design took in lessons from that war, notably that the majority of action took place at relatively short range – 300-400 yards/metres, so a high powered cartridge was not needed. The EM-2 was originally designed for a 0.280 cartridge which was smaller and lighter than ‘full power’ cartridges, meaning that an infantryman could carry more rounds and allowed magazines with greater capacity. Unfortunately, for political reasons, the rifle was only briefly adopted, and was superseded by the NATO 7.62mm rifles.

Leave a Reply